The Digestion Process:
The food that is ingested passes down the food pipe (oesophagus) into the stomach. The stomach cells create mucus that protects the lining of the stomach from damage from chemicals and digestive acids created by the stomach itself. The linings of the oesophagus are very delicate and don’t have much protection from the acid.
A sphincter, which is a ring created from muscles which contract to close an opening, called lower esophageal sphincter (LES), exists at the intersection of the oesophagus and the stomach. This valve loosens so that it allows food into the stomach and then closes thus preventing stomach acid and food to leak into the oesophagus.
This may cause symptoms like heartburn, chest pain, burping, and in more serious cases even acid reflux disease also noted as gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD).
What Are the Causes of Acid Reflux Disease?
- An abnormality called Hiatal hernia happens when the upper part of the stomach and LES move over the diaphragm, negating the diaphragm’s obstructing of stomach acids to move into the oesophagus
- Bending over at your waist or lying on your back after having eaten a heavy meal
- Eating snacks before you go to bed
- Consuming certain foods liketomato, citrus, chocolate, garlic, mint, onions, or fatty spicy foods
- Drinking certain drinks like alcohol, coffee, carbonated drinksor tea
- Taking ibuprofen,aspirin, muscle relaxers, or medications for blood pressure
What Are Some of the Symptoms of Acid Reflux Disease?
- Heartburn, a burning feeling upwardsin the direction of the chest and throat.
- Bloating, nausea and burping
- Dysphagia, which a narrowing of the esophagus, which generates the feeling of food being stuck in your throat.
- Constant Hiccups
- A constantt coughwhich particularly occurs at night. This is because the refluxed acid irritates the windpipe (trachea).
- Symptoms in the mouth or throatlike gum problems,sore throat, bad breath, and hoarseness.
- Acute chest pain.
Natural Homemade Remedies For Fighting Acid Reflux:
These natural homemade remedies could help you to prevent and resist episodes of Acid reflux fast. Have a look:
Get more stuff like this
in your inbox
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.
Thank you for subscribing.
Something went wrong.