Winter is the period of the year when flu and colds happen a lot. One of the most irritating symptoms that manifest in this season is the cough.
Because cough can be really annoying and it usually disrupts the sleep, a lot of people as addition to the usual syrups and throat lozenges, use natural remedies from the folk medicine, everything in order to free themselves from the uncomfortable cough.
Here are some natural and effective remedies for cough:
- Honey. Honey is probably the most popular and most potent thing for soothing the cough. Medical experts also concur that consuming honey before going to sleep reduces the cough and improves the sleep.
Warning! Never give honey to a kid younger than 1 year.
- Lemon juice and honey. In a cup with warm water, squeeze one lemon and add one tablespoon of honey. This remedy is popular for sore throat as well.
- Onions and sugar syrup. The juice from onion is a popular cough remedy. A lot of people claim that it is the single thing that has ever helped them.
Cut the bottom of one red onion. Then, cut the top and hollow out the onion by making a hole without penetrating the bottom. Fill the onion with 2 to 3 teaspoons of sugar.
Use a sharp knife and make small stabs at the bottom, place the onion above a cup or a glass and leave it during the night. The sugar is going to melt during the night, and a small quantity of onion juice will leak into the cup.
In the morning, take the sugar from the onion and mix it with the juice. Drink it. You can put honey if you like as well.
This syrup does not taste as bad as you probably imagine, drink it twice a day.
- Onion, garlic, honey and wild thyme syrup. Mix ½ cup of honey with ½ cup of water and add one chopped onion and one chopped bulb of garlic. Put a little wild thyme and leave the mixture overnight. Strain the mixture the next day and drink it like a syrup. Put it in the fridge.
- Boiled onion and honey. Boil one chopped onion in a pot until it softens. Take out the onion and blend it with honey. Consume small amounts every 4 hours.
- Basil or wild thyme tea. Basil and wild thyme teas calm down cough as well. For even better result, sweeten them with a teaspoon of honey while they are warm.
- Ginger tea. Ginger can be helpful for reducing the cough. Drink it while it is warm.
- Honey and horseradish syrup. Grate 1/8 of a teaspoon of horseradish in a ¼ cup of honey. Leave the mixture for a few hours and drink it as a cough syrup afterwards. Not only it will soothe the cough but will improve your breathing as well.
- Hot drinks- soup, tea, or hot chocolate. The cough worsens when your throat feels dry and you feel scratching. To put an end to this, you need to consume hot drinks. You will feel better whether you consume tea, hot chocolate or soup.
When to consult a doctor?
In most cough related cases there is no need to consult a doctor. However, if you observe some of these symptoms, immediately see your physician:
- Body temperature which is higher than 38 0C;
- When there is a strange sound of snoring and wheezing from your chest when you exhale
- Chest pain
- Difficulty when breathing and swallowing
- Coughing up thick green, bloody or pink secretion
- The cough lasts longer than a week and the condition is not improving
Get more stuff like this
in your inbox
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.
Thank you for subscribing.
Something went wrong.