Heart disease is the leading cause of death in America, claiming more lives than all the cancers combined together. There are a number of heart diseases, nevertheless, clogged arteries is a condition which can give rise to more conditions. You can take simple measures and reduce the risk of getting a heart disease.
Clogged arteries, or atherosclerosis, which is the medical term for this disease progresses very slowly and it becomes very dangerous in elderly people. Plaque, which is made out of waste and fat slowly accumulates on the blood vessels’ walls. When a lot of plaque accumulates, it can compromise the blood flow. This can lead to more serious conditions like stroke, heart attack and peripheral vascular disease. More than 26,000 deaths are causes on a yearly basis in America, even though this disease can be easily prevented by implementing healthy lifestyle.
The best way for preventing heart problems including clogged arteries is by consuming a healthy diet. As strange as it may sound, limiting the fat intake is not the optimum way for keeping a healthy heart. On the contrary, according to evidence, what you should do is consume more vegetables. A number of studies confirm this, including one be the Harvard University, which included more than 100,000 people. It was discovered that those people who ate 8 servings of vegetables per day had about one-third reduced risk of developing a heart disease compared to those who consumed one and a half servings per day. This was also corroborated by another study which included 1,300 senior citizens. Consuming vegetables is of vital importance for the health.
You may think that 8 servings is a lot, but it can be very simple. Just try the following recipe:
- ½ cup of fresh spinach leaves
- ½ cup of broccoli florets
- ¼ cup of celery, chopped
- ½ cup of cherry tomatoes or tomato slices
- 1 to 2 cups of green tea
- 1 carrot, grated
- Put all of the ingredients, apart from the green tea, in a blender and blend till they become smooth.
- Incorporate the green tea and continue blending for a couple of more seconds.
- This will provide you with 4 servings and it has 150 calories.
Word of Advice: you can use a banana instead of the green tea if you don’t like smoothies with vegetables only.
You Can Also Include These Changes:
- Restrain the unhealthy fats intake and consume healthy fats instead. Some healthy fats sources are seeds, nuts, avocados, fish and olive oil.
- Restrain the consumption of junk food, dairy, red meat since they are rich in trans and saturated fats.
- Restrain the intake of sodium. Sources of sodium are sandwiches, soup, poultry, pizza, cold cuts, and cured meats.
- Restrain from added sugars intake like that found in granola bars, breakfast cereal, desserts, baked goods, and beverages.
- Increase the consumption of whole grains.
Change Your Lifestyle:
- Do regular exercise.
- Make sure to get enough sleep since lack of it can increase the chances of developing a cardiovascular disease.
- Do not use tobacco and stay away from second-hand smoke.
Get more stuff like this
in your inbox
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.
Thank you for subscribing.
Something went wrong.